Located at the end of Church Street on the way to Georgia Slide is the “Glory Hole”. This beautiful emerald green pond now covers the entrance to what was once one of Georgetown’s biggest producing gold mines.
The Beebe Mine, on the north side of Georgetown, was one of the larger sources of gold in El Dorado County and actually a consolidation of several claims, including the Brooklyn, East Lode, Iowa and Woodside-Eureka.
The Eureka claim was first worked in the early days of the Gold Rush and up to 1908. The Beebe claim itself was prospected in 1917. From 1932 until 1939 the Beebe Gold Mining Company operated the mine and removed 306,241 tons of ore that produced $1,200,465 in gold. After 1939, a little gold was found while cleaning up.
The vein averaged 12 to 15 feet in width and was reached by three shafts, the Eureka, old Beebe and Beebe No. 2 with levels at 130, 250, 370, 500, 600 and 700 feet. At the 370-foot level there was a 700-foot drift in ore and between the 500 and 700-foot level a winze.
The last gold mined came from stopes at the 600 and 700-foot levels. Gold ore from this mine and the Alpine mine was processed at a stamp mill on this property.
photo thanks to: vntghippy
references: Mines of El Dorado County